CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

About Me

Personal Mini Goal ....Getting below 300 lbs :)

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Take A Hike Ike


This is a bit off topic but I wanted to let everyone know that if you don't see me updating my weight loss for Saturday that it's because of Hurricane Ike coming my way :( It's not that I am ignoring my weight loss efforts or anything like that.
You would think that by now I am used to this Hurricane Season since I have been living in Houston since about the age of six years old. But I am NOT used to it and I don't think I ever will get used to it. I don't actually live right in the city of Houston although they are saying on the local news that this is a big hurricane and it will be effecting ALL of Houston. I live in a town called Spring, Texas which isn't far from the City of Houston and although I do live pretty far out from the gulf we still will feel the effects of this Hurricane big time!
Every year I try to prepare myself mentally for Hurricane season but every year when there is one headed our way I still get really nervous and it effects my work but since I run a home daycare I can't let the kids see that side of me because we all know that kids will feel the way your feeling so today has been tough trying to track the hurricane but not allow them to know I am feeling scared :( They are a cute bunch of kids but also very smart for thier ages so the older ones know what is going on but the younger ones of course have no idea. My parent's asked me this morning if I will be open tomorrow and I told them I would have an answer for them tonight at pick up time. I am not sure what to do on that because tomorrow we are supposed to start feeling Ike with lots of rain by mid afternoon but it's not supposed to get bad until late on Friday evening and then early Saturday morning it will hit landfall. All my parent's all have what they call "essential" jobs therefore they all HAVE to go to work tomorrow since the brunt of the hurricane isn't going to really start doing anything until early Saturday morning so I feel obligated to say I am going to be open for them. And since we are not in a ZONE that is supposed to evacuate I really feel that I should be open for the parents who have to work. Because of what happened during Hurricane Rita with all the chaos and people getting stuck on the freeways here they now have implemented an evacuation plan where only certain zipcodes are allowed to evacuate. So no one in my area is evacuating ....we are just all going to "HUNKER DOWN" (Texas term lol) and hope for the best.
But any ways I just wanted everyone to know that if you don't see me "blogging" as much on here or don't see a WI Day entry then Hurricane Ike would be the reason why. I am not sure what is going to happen as far as the winds in this area but if it gets bad our power will be out. The power here goes out in a normal thunderstorm every time so I know with this we DEFINANTLY will not have power at some point. We are prepared though which is something you get used to doing when you live in this State. I am always buying extra canned goods and bottled water each time I go to the grocery store so we are well stocked on that and I am determined NOT to go off WW during this storm so I will count each and every point and stay OP :) I am GOING TO LOSE THIS WEIGHT and NOTHING .....NOT even Hurricane Ike will STOP ME :)
Please, please keep everyone here in the Lone Star State in your thoughts and prayers and pray that IKE TAKES A HIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

MargieAnne said...

Good for you ... planning & staying on WW. We don't get storms quite as fierce here but I know all about power outages ..... normal in storms & closed roads due to flood or land slide. Here it just adds a little zest to life but you feel compassion for those who might be more seriously affected.

We visited Pensacola 6 months after Ivan and were shocked by the devastation of Santa Rosa Island & the number of properties in Florida still with blue roof tarpaulins. Do hope Ike winds down & you don't suffer damage.

M said...

Yikes, I hope you are ok!

Blossom said...

Hope you are okay down there!

Donnalouise said...

Take care and be safe! I hope Ike will dwindle down to just a rain storm...keeping fingers crossed!

JC said...

Hi, I just came over from the Blog to Lose site. I'm looking forward to getting to know you. What an awesome job you have. I admire folks that tackle the job of caring for children. I will be keeping you and all Texans in my prayers.

SeaShore said...

Hope you made it through okay.